Like the mediocre cup of coffee one encounters everywhere, anyone can record tracks or loop samples and mix them down to a stereo file. However, attention to nuance and overlooked subtleties in the mix can propel your music above the average mass, like that elusive excellent cup of coffee.
- For several years, I have been focused on mixing in just a few genre specific styles gaining a broader understanding of the most important elements of the mix in electronic, jazz, folk and pop recordings. My ears have been trained and skills honed from this experience.
- My room is acoustically treated with GIK acoustic panels and bass traps to accurately ascertain the state of your mix using KRK Rokit 5 near-field studio monitors. (see my studio above)
- I have a BA in music from the renowned University of North Texas College of Music graduating in 2001.
- You certainly can if you are confident in the accuracy of your mixing environment, but please be cautious of corrective mastering which cannot give you the result that a properly mixed and mastered solution will bring.
- Continuing, many mastering engineers will ask that you go back and correct problems in your mix and would use corrective mastering as a last resort. Then there are those who will quickly churn out your master, warts and all, without giving you a chance to deal with the underlying issues in the mix, while gladly taking your cash.
- In other words, your focus should be toward getting the mix as good as it can be rather than relying on the mastering engineer to work a miracle with a flawed mixdown (this due to the effect of room modes from an untreated mixing environment as explained on GIK Acoustics' Room Acoustics Primer).
- Further, see this article regarding mixing mistakes from Universal Audio referencing the above issues. Please pay special attention to the information on the common problem of excessive low-end in mixes done in small rooms with no acoustic treatment.
- I am offering a mixing service for those who feel they have already done a tremendous amount of work by writing, playing and recording their tracks and would like to hand off the mixing duties to capable hands for a superior result in an acoustically accurate environment.
Finally, you can expect a trustworthy, forthright experience from me. I will do all that I can to help your music sound its best and to prepare it properly for mastering, which is the final step after mixing. I will gladly refer you to someone more qualified if I cannot provide what is needed for your project and will never waste your time or money.